Paul Strahm, Artist
Thank you for wanting to learn more about me and my paintings.
My name is PAUL STRAHM and I have been a full-time professional artist in San Diego since 1997. I am a plein air painter, which means that I start and finish my paintings outdoors, directly from the scene, usually in one session (depending on the size). What makes this special is that I am able to capture the light, colors and mood of the scene as it is at that particular time. Painting in this style is much more difficult than painting from a picture in a studio. Not only are you trying to capture the light and atmosphere before it changes, but you are also encountering wind, sun, bugs, and occasionally people who want to talk to you while you are doing the above. Sometimes I can talk but most respect when I cannot. It allows me to keep painting so I can offer the fresh style art collectors love!
This is how I make my living and my paintings ARE available for sale (pricing below), so if you are interested in seeing paintings as they become available:
- Follow me on Instagram and be one of the first to see it finished (I hear it’s exciting to see what will pop up each day).
- Sign up to receive email newsletter (usually once every 1-2 weeks).
- Email me and I’d be happy to send you a thumbnail of the painting.
- Go to the Originals page on my website and it will appear there if not sold on location when painting it.
Pricing for Original Paintings
- 6×8″ = $250
- 8×10″ = $500
- 11×14″ = $800
- 12×16″ = $1,000
- 16×20″ = $1,800
- Inquire for other various sizes and for commissioning a custom painting
- Grew up in the great state of Ohio, from birth through college
- Graduated from Youngstown State University in northeastern Ohio
- Have been calling San Diego “home” since 1985
- Favorite artist and inspiration is Paul Cezanne
- Married to my wife Denise for nearly 20 years
- Enjoy traveling (to paint of course), sports and getting to meet people like yourselves
Honors Bestowed Upon Me
- Having my painting titled Cabrillo Bridge acquired in 2014 by the Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, to be part of their Permanent Collection.
- When art enthusiasts believe in my talent and acquire my work for their home or office, or gift it to others
- Receiving awards in competitions, such as “Runner up” in Europe’s largest plein air competition, Best of Oil/Acrylic in the Carmel Art Festival, Best of Show in the Huntington Beach Plein Air Competition and many others listed here
- Being trusted to jury art exhibitions.
- Featured artist for five years in a row for Pacific BeachFest held in Pacific Beach, San Diego, California.
- Confidence of others in me to commission a painting in my style with their vision and direction.
I hope you learned a little about me here and will stay connected one way or another!
“The intrinsic value of an original painting is realized by the soul long before the mind knows what it is seeing.”PAUL STRAHM